I was still feeling wiped from my Saturday run so Monday I took it easy to recoup.
Then Tuesday I was all set to go for a run once the heat died down but a massive thunderstorm swept in to kill that plan so I spent an hour on the elliptical and did some weights. Oh man did that ever knock the stuffing out of me, to the point that I was barely able to finish the workout. At one point while the rain was pouring down, I looked at the floor infant of the elliptical and thought the roof had sprung a leak. My oxygen-starved brain was staring at the wet marks on the floor as I let loose a string of curse words a mile long. Then I realized it was sweat flying off my arms. Crisis averted.
Wednesday I felt the need for some speed and my 10 km had a generous sprinkling of fartleks. Best of all, I felt good after and not wiped like I had been feeling before. I was tempted to do more but that is how I usually end up nursing injuries so I decided that discretion was definitely in order.
Thursday I stayed and chatted with my friend and dog-sitter for a bit longer than I had planned to so I got to work a little later than I wanted to so I did a short 30 minutes on the treadmill with some elevation thrown in.
Friday was a short session on the treadmill as a warmup for some weights. And as a note to future self: doing weights with a week before a big run is a big mistake. I was sore for days.
Saturday I slept in. My bad.
Sunday another treadmill session. Good and bad I guess. With the Canadian National Exhibition going on, traffic downtown was BRUTAL and the airshow was flying right around the time I would be running outside so besides watching the cars and traffic, I’d be watching the planes. And it was back to being hot and humid. And with a very short stretch of time before work, I’d be paying too much attention to my watch. I figured the treadmill was the lesser of all evils. Ugh.
Monday August 29 – Rest
Tuesday August 30 – 60 minutes elliptical on cross train setting
- Cable squat row (1 set of 12 reps each at 70/80/90 lbs)
- Romanian Deadlifts with Unilateral Row (3 sets of 12 reps at 15 lbs)
- Incline Pushups (3 sets of 12 reps)
- Choppy things (I don’t know what it’s actually called and I saw it online: take a barbell and hold it over your right shoulder, then straight up, then over to left shoulder. Anyway, I did 3 sets of 12 reps with 15 lbs barbell)
- Jack knife on Exercise Ball (3 sets of 12 reps)
- Lunge with BOSU Ball (3 sets of 12 reps with 15 lbs barbells)
Wednesday August 31 – 10 kms with fartleks (61.24 minutes)
Thursday September 1 – Treadmill (30 minutes)
Friday September 2 – Treadmill (25 minutes)
- Bent leg Deadlift (3 sets of 12 reps with 40 lbs barbells)
- Kettlebell Swing (3 sets of 12 reps with 35 lbs kettle bell)
- Whole lotta planking!
Saturday September 3 – Snoozefest
Sunday September 4 – Treadmill (35 minutes)
I did treat myself to one of my favourite meals this week. It’s delicious and so fast to make: a whole container of arugula topped with sliced steak, covered in a lemon vinaigrette and parmesan cheese. Fast, tasty, and fairly healthy. Boom.